Skip to main content

Earth Hour meets Rear Window

We've just participated in Earth Hour, the WWF's campaign to highlight the threat of global warming where everyone turns their lights out from 8:30-9:30pm.

I hadn't really planned what I was going to do for my hour of darkness and at 8:25 was scrabbling around for tealights and roasting peanuts for a Thai Salad I was making for tea*. I set up a few candles in the kitchen, made sure I knew where my sharp knives where (didn't fancy ending up in A&E saying "well I was trying to save the planet and inadvertently sliced open my radial artery instead of a tomato") and promptly switched the lights out at 8:30.

The first thing which struck me was the peace and quiet. We'd had some inane Saturday night TV on in the background and it was a relief to switch that off. The gentle hum of my fridge accompanied the preparation of the salad and I found my mind wandering while I grated carrots and mashed chillies. Mr Gingerknits was even less prepared than I was and hid under the duvet on our sofa. Part of the Thai Salad recipe involved bashing the salad, ideally with a mortar and pestle (which is which, I can never remember) so I handed this over to him to keep him busy.

I prepared the veg for the next course, a Thai Green Curry which is cooking as I type this. I didn't want to cook that by candle light and was trying to not use any electricity during Earth Hour. As my eyes grew accustomed to the dimness I found I noticed different things. I poured some rice into the pan to soak and was startled by the brightness of the rice against the pans dark interior.

I wouldn't want to permanently live like this, the power cut at Christmas was bad enough, however switching everything off every so often really does make me appreciate the basic things we take for granted. After I graduated I volunteered on a development project in Tanzania. Our living conditions were very basic and I still remember the rush to light our hurricane lamps as the sun set. It's a good reminder that this is how most people on the planet still live.

I popped out into our garden to see if anyone else was taking part. As I scanned round the buildings which back onto our street I spied a chap having a shower, silhouetted again the window, furiously washing his man parts. After I stopped laughing and realised that watching him was inappropriate and a bit too Alfred Hitchcock I went to the front of my flat to see if people in my street had turned their lights off and discovered snails munching away on my newly planted lettuce seedlings in my window box. They were transplanted to the back garden so Earth Hour has saved my lettuces, for now.

Maybe I'll go into the garden more often at night, but only to look at snails, not my neighbours.

*I'm from Yorkshire where tea means evening meal as well as the beverage we drink by the bucketful.

Comments

ickky snails - already? they're not even in the fab allotment yet!

our house is often full of confusion due to the overuse of the word 'dinner'. if it is midday, it is lunch, goddamit! northerners, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti...

Just beet it - part II

Here it is. The beetroot dye experiment results. I had read that beetroot turns a disappointing orange colour when the dye is set. The most saturated end turned a beautiful burnished orange however the far end of the skein, which had been a delicate shade of pale pink before cooking was a mucky yellow. The cream/mucky yellow colour dominated the skein and wasn't as graduated as I'd hoped for. I decided to redye the cream section, leaving a small section of the Naples Yellow (mucky yellow) for contrast (I actually like the colour in small amounts and looked up a nicer name in my Artists Colour Manual). I added a few drops of pink food colouring to the beetroot vinegar just to see what happened and over dyed the mid portion of orange with more beetroot vinegar with a few drops of red food colouring. This is how it looked while drying... ...ta dah ! Here it is reskeined . Well half the skein anyway. I was in a rush as I wanted to enter it in a dip dyeing competition on Ravelry w...

Knit Nation

I've been busy over the last week taking p/hop to the Knit Nation festival in London. It was good fun but I'm still a little dazed from 3 full on days of talking to knitters. It was fab and I've met some brilliant people so I will share it in photo form. Here's our stand, manned by yellowpurplezebra and cybil. Bad pub photos from Friday night with Stitch London Stitchettes, WoollyWormhead, @julietillyflop (who makes fab knitting tea towels ) Babylonglegs, @knitterbird and Bionic Laura (who stayed with me and brought me some gorgeous Aran yarn from Ireland) There was a grout baby and also some tipsy yelling at Ysolda and Sazknits and Jess and Casey the marvellous people who made Ravelry when we spotted them on the way to the tube. On Saturday I made sure I had time to shop and bought some sock yarn from Renaisance Dyeing... ... creepily fabulous stitch markers from The Bothered Owl ... As well as a fab needle roll with Mexican Day of the Dead pattern I also bought some...