Skip to main content

Wedding Tea

My lovely cousin Jane got married at the weekend. She's been with her partner husband Chris for ages so they have everything they need so requested charity donations instead of wedding presents, but it it nice to receive presents, and I was pretty sure they didn't have a cricket tea cosy.

Cricket Tea Cosy

They are both ex-Navy so I made the cosy in Royal Navy colours. I also pointed out on the gift tag that this is not a cat jumper in case their ginger moggy ended up sporting knitwear.

Wedding gift

Jane is a Yorkshire lass so I used DK Wensleydale Longwool yarn, held double for the body and singly for the sleeves and collar. The pattern is fun and quick to knit and I will definitely make this again. And it is a p/hop pattern designed by my brilliant friend Ros.

On the morning of the wedding we went into nearby Malborough with my parents to have a look around. Malborough was as lovely and as twee as I expected, the good side of which is it has loads of great charity shops so we picked up some books, including Douglas Adams and John Lloyds Meaning of Liff which has been on my wishlist for ages, a Neil Gaiman book and Kazuo Ishigoro's Never Let Me Go. Mr Gingerknits found an almost new pair of snowblades in a Blue Cross shop which might come in handy if we have a similar winter to last year. I can see us going up to Hampstead Heath to try them out if it snows.

Malborough also has a knitting shop called Fair Isle which had some Jean Greenhowe knits in the window in preparation for the Malborough show which was taking place that afternoon.

P1010879

The knitting shop stocked lots of acrylic blend yarns such as Sirdar and Wendy and it was handy seeing them in the flesh as my LYS's in london only sell posh yarns and sometimes an acrylic blend is preferable (and cheaper) than pure wool.

Fair Isle Yarn Shop

I picked up some Sidar Escape which I was going to make mittens with but I have predictably started knitting socks. Quelle Surprise!

Bling ring & Bouquet

The wedding itself was lovely, and there were a few surprises such as the wedding cake being cut with a ceremonial sword! In the evening we went back to my cousin's friends we were staying with. Myself and my parents were expecting a relaxing evening when almost everyone else came back to the same house to carry on the party. Luckily I hadn't quite changed into my PJs but I was sock knitting. I didn't realise I could impress retired Royal Navy commanders with circular needles and some ribbing but I did. I just felt sorry for their wives as they all started requesting socks. I told them to learn to knit, the men that is!

Comments

Helen said…
That little cabled vest is gorgeous.

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti...

Just beet it - part II

Here it is. The beetroot dye experiment results. I had read that beetroot turns a disappointing orange colour when the dye is set. The most saturated end turned a beautiful burnished orange however the far end of the skein, which had been a delicate shade of pale pink before cooking was a mucky yellow. The cream/mucky yellow colour dominated the skein and wasn't as graduated as I'd hoped for. I decided to redye the cream section, leaving a small section of the Naples Yellow (mucky yellow) for contrast (I actually like the colour in small amounts and looked up a nicer name in my Artists Colour Manual). I added a few drops of pink food colouring to the beetroot vinegar just to see what happened and over dyed the mid portion of orange with more beetroot vinegar with a few drops of red food colouring. This is how it looked while drying... ...ta dah ! Here it is reskeined . Well half the skein anyway. I was in a rush as I wanted to enter it in a dip dyeing competition on Ravelry w...

Knit Nation

I've been busy over the last week taking p/hop to the Knit Nation festival in London. It was good fun but I'm still a little dazed from 3 full on days of talking to knitters. It was fab and I've met some brilliant people so I will share it in photo form. Here's our stand, manned by yellowpurplezebra and cybil. Bad pub photos from Friday night with Stitch London Stitchettes, WoollyWormhead, @julietillyflop (who makes fab knitting tea towels ) Babylonglegs, @knitterbird and Bionic Laura (who stayed with me and brought me some gorgeous Aran yarn from Ireland) There was a grout baby and also some tipsy yelling at Ysolda and Sazknits and Jess and Casey the marvellous people who made Ravelry when we spotted them on the way to the tube. On Saturday I made sure I had time to shop and bought some sock yarn from Renaisance Dyeing... ... creepily fabulous stitch markers from The Bothered Owl ... As well as a fab needle roll with Mexican Day of the Dead pattern I also bought some...