Skip to main content

The last FO of 2011

Yesterday we went to London's Natural History Museum, one of my favourite places in the city, to see the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition. We went with our good friends Paula and Brian who are also travel and photography fans.

The exhibition was surprisingly quiet so there was plenty of space to take in the awe inspiring images as well as chat about travel, photographic techniques (In camera double exposure anyone?) and of course, the wildlife.

Paula and I were both taken with this abstract image of a spider's web, by Finnish photographer, Antti Partanen, titled A Spectrum of Silk.


There were also some outstanding entries in the Black and White categories. This photo of a chachalaca (it's a bit like a jungle turkey) , by Gregory Basco, would make a lovely fabric print.

If you can't make it to the exhibition you can view all the images online.

So where is the knitting in all of this? Well back in the summer I asked Brian which bespoke knitted item he would like for his birthday. He asked for socks. I started the first sock on our holiday to The Philippines and finished the first sock on the flight home. 

I'd been meandering along with the second sock, other projects took priority, but I completed it just before Christmas, or so I thought... 

MrG to tried on the socks to check the fit and despite looking the same length when flat, the leg of the second sock was about 1.5cm shorter than the other.

Me being me, I left ripping back the second cuff til yesterday morning, just before leaving for the museum. I grabbed my DPNs, a sewing needle and of course the socks and yarn and knitted on the underground...

Underground Knitting


... and in the members room of the Natural History Museum, while we all had a post exhibition cup of tea and cake, til the cuff was reknit and the correct length. 

Brian then kindly modelled the finished socks for me with some interesting objects in the background.


IMG_0079

IMG_0081

After the photo shoot we went to a new Lebanese restaurant, near the tube in South Kensington, called Comptoir where we had a slap up meal of mezze, mmm, falafel. I'd recommend it if you are visiting the museums there. It's reasonably priced and delicious.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to learn how to make my own falafel, baked rather than fried.

After a late lunch Mr G and I walked to Peter Jones to buy some new pillows. This was surprisingly exciting, though I was disappointed to see I was the only person in the shop using their head to test the pillows, rather than their hands.

On the walk there we spotted some interesting lights.

Firstly a giant penguin...

IMG_0084

Then the lovely Michelin building which is worth a look during daylight hours too

IMG_0086

and finally the mass of lights outside Peter Jones, reflected in the windows opposite, which we spotted while waiting for our bus home. Which was a very comfy bus ride thanks to the new pillows we were carrying. IMG_0089
 A very nice way to end 2011.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti...

Just beet it - part II

Here it is. The beetroot dye experiment results. I had read that beetroot turns a disappointing orange colour when the dye is set. The most saturated end turned a beautiful burnished orange however the far end of the skein, which had been a delicate shade of pale pink before cooking was a mucky yellow. The cream/mucky yellow colour dominated the skein and wasn't as graduated as I'd hoped for. I decided to redye the cream section, leaving a small section of the Naples Yellow (mucky yellow) for contrast (I actually like the colour in small amounts and looked up a nicer name in my Artists Colour Manual). I added a few drops of pink food colouring to the beetroot vinegar just to see what happened and over dyed the mid portion of orange with more beetroot vinegar with a few drops of red food colouring. This is how it looked while drying... ...ta dah ! Here it is reskeined . Well half the skein anyway. I was in a rush as I wanted to enter it in a dip dyeing competition on Ravelry w...

Knit Nation

I've been busy over the last week taking p/hop to the Knit Nation festival in London. It was good fun but I'm still a little dazed from 3 full on days of talking to knitters. It was fab and I've met some brilliant people so I will share it in photo form. Here's our stand, manned by yellowpurplezebra and cybil. Bad pub photos from Friday night with Stitch London Stitchettes, WoollyWormhead, @julietillyflop (who makes fab knitting tea towels ) Babylonglegs, @knitterbird and Bionic Laura (who stayed with me and brought me some gorgeous Aran yarn from Ireland) There was a grout baby and also some tipsy yelling at Ysolda and Sazknits and Jess and Casey the marvellous people who made Ravelry when we spotted them on the way to the tube. On Saturday I made sure I had time to shop and bought some sock yarn from Renaisance Dyeing... ... creepily fabulous stitch markers from The Bothered Owl ... As well as a fab needle roll with Mexican Day of the Dead pattern I also bought some...