Here it is. The beetroot dye experiment results.
I had read that beetroot turns a disappointing orange colour when the dye is set. The most saturated end turned a beautiful burnished orange however the far end of the skein, which had been a delicate shade of pale pink before cooking was a mucky yellow. The cream/mucky yellow colour dominated the skein and wasn't as graduated as I'd hoped for.
I decided to redye the cream section, leaving a small section of the Naples Yellow (mucky yellow) for contrast (I actually like the colour in small amounts and looked up a nicer name in my Artists Colour Manual). I added a few drops of pink food colouring to the beetroot vinegar just to see what happened and over dyed the mid portion of orange with more beetroot vinegar with a few drops of red food colouring. This is how it looked while drying...
...ta dah! Here it is reskeined. Well half the skein anyway. I was in a rush as I wanted to enter it in a dip dyeing competition on Ravelry which closed today and I was getting in a tangle. I'm very pleased with it. I'll try and take some photos in natural light tomorrow.
In case you're wondering, it doesn't smell of vinegar or beetroot, which in my opinion is a shame.
Apple for Teacher
4 months ago