Skip to main content

A trip to the Theatre?

Last weekend friends came down from Gateshead for a weekend in London. It's great when people come and stay as we get to be tourists in our own city and visit things we haven't been to before. My sort of new years resolution this year is to see more of London, I've got in to a bit of a rut going to the same galleries and museums, which are great but it's good to try new things. I know South Bank pretty well but am not that familiar with what's east of London Bridge. Our friends had managed to get free tickets to the Design Museum so we started off there on Saturday morning.

The Design Museum is very white and minimal and this white and minimalness was exacerbated by John Pawson exhibition which was on. Alex, Anitha and I are all quite messy so didn't really appreciate the clean white lines and interiors with no personalisation though Stewart is a neat freak and really enjoyed himself. There was a mock up of one of the monastery rooms Pawson had designed (Cistercian Monastery of Our Lady of Nový Dvůr in the Czech Republic). Luckily when I went into it a delightfully rambunctious toddler came careering in, all rosy cheeks, bright stripey clothes and noise and dribble which curbed my urges to make a mess. It was a lovely contemplative space, perfect for a monk, but not how I would like to live.

I did like the flat he renovated on the Belgium coast. I've been to that part of Belgium which is very different to most of the UK coast. It's flat, bleak, washout, beautiful in it's own way with very subtle changes over the course of a day. The apartment made the most of the views and was reflected in the over exposed interiors. I think if I stayed there I would spend the day staring out of the window. It's a shame the photos on his website have the curtains closed as the apartment is a picture frame for the natural world.

Slightly more colourful were the fashion drawings exhibited on the first floor, though I would have enjoyed it more if there had been actual samples on display.

The staircase had an interesting installation of plastic cards with different alphabets and texts, including a Hindi script which had been modified for mobile phone use. A friend of ours works on making numeric pads on mobiles predict text in Chinese and Hindi so we wondered if he'd helped design some of the characters.

Design Museum

The museum is quite small and one of the exhibition spaces was closed when we visited so I was quite pleased we didn't pay to get in. To be honest my favourite part was the shop, though I will bear the museum in mind for future exhibits if they sound interesting.

We stopped off for brunch in a lovely, modern tea shop on Shad Thames called Teapod where I had a healthy pancake with fruit and everyone else tucked into tasty cake.

Anitha, Stew & Alex

Feeling energised we strolled along Shad Thames and stumbled across Butler's Warf which used to be warehouses when London was more of a dock city. It's been restored beautifully though is disappointingly full of high street chains. Shad Thames itself is more interesting with independent retailers.

We were heading for the Old Operating Theatre which I hadn't heard of but Anitha was keen to see it. It's just off Borough High Street on St Thomas' Street. It was well worth a visit. From the outside it looks like a church, which it turns out it sort of is.

The Old Operating Theatre

I admired the iron work sculpture at the entrance.

The Old Operating Theatre

You squeeze up a tight, narrow spiral staircase and just as you think you can't go round another corner you pop up in a tiny, crowded, mildly chaotic shop and pay your money to go in.

After climbing a short, straight flight of stairs you are transported to the 18th century to a herb garret, where medicinal herbs such as willow bark would have been stored and prepared by St Thomas's Apothecary. It actually smelled quite pleasant. There were lots of display cabinets with pathological specimens, medical instruments and gruesome bits and pieces as well as lots of herb samples to poke and sniff. I like old glass medical bottles which would have been used for storing tinctures.

The Old Operating Theatre

Not your usual crochet hook! I just tried looking up the item below on google and got lots of horrible and graphic anti abortion sites so let's just say it's an old fashioned tool. If you are interested in old surgical tools, as I am, the museum has a good page about them here which is factual and free from any zealotry. Anitha is a doctor and said many of the obstetric tools haven't changed that much, many of the forceps look the same today.


Surgical crochet?

I used to work in operating theatres monitoring brain blood flow and years ago had a job washing up surgical kit in theatres which was very interesting so it was fascinating to see an actual early theatre. It definitely felt more like a theatre than modern operating rooms and I have to say I am so grateful to be alive in the 21st century with anaesthesia and good clean surgical techniques.

The Old Operating Theatre


The Old Operating Theatre is well worth a visit if you are interested in surgery and it's development and also the history of medicine. If you are squeamish I'd give it a miss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.

Donegal Aran Socks

When Bioniclaura came to stay for KnitNation she very kindly gave me some Donegal Aran Tweed Yarn . The yarn is made in Ireland in a mill in Kilcar, County Donegal and I bought a little more of it when I visited the Knitting & Stitching show in Dublin with p/hop in October. As I'm supposed to be making 52 pairs of socks this year of course I made socks. The yarn is lovely to work with and though it feels a little rough at first after a gentle wash in some soak it softens up beautifully. I made these socks toe up, using Judy's Magic cast on for the toes. I cast on 18 stitches and increased every other round using YOs knitted through the back loop to 36 stitches on 3.75mm needles. They have a standard heel flap and gusset and were very quick to knit, taking one evening per sock. I gave this pair to my Mother in Law for Christmas and she is very happy with them. Though she loves all my knitting and often contemplates nicking things I have made for other people like some yarny