Skip to main content

Olympic London

I am failing at the Rav Games as I am too busy enjoying Olympic London. The atmosphere here is superb - friendly and polite, welcoming and quirky.

On Sunday myself and a few friends went on tour visiting national houses. Some countries have commandered buildings in London to showcase their culture. Most of them are free and they are good fun.

We started off in Casa Brasil aka Somerset House, where we saw some artwork, plus plans for their games in 2016. I think I'll go back in the evening and enjoy a caipriniha or two and pretend I'm on Copacobana beach.

To keep this linked to the fibre arts they had this fabric wall

Casa Brasil - fabric wall

and these freaky crochet dolls in part of an art exhibit.

Casa Brasil - freaky crochet dolls

We watched a little bit of the women's marathon

Marathon

which to be honest was a little tiring so we mooched along South Bank, stopping off at the Tanks at Tate Modern, taking a break from sport and enjoying some culture

Tate Tanks

I think Swiss House was my favourite as it had cheese and chocolate

ALL THE CHEESE

and we got to see a Master Choclatier from Lindt at work and sample his wares. A cunning move as we all bought some chocolate, I went for their new wasabi flavour.

Master choclatier

This loo door sign amused me in Swiss House

Loo door in Swiss House

I'm collecting photos of our mascots, Wenlock and Mandeville (or Stevenage and Mildew as I like to call them) and spotted a fair few, though apparently there are 83 of these all over London. Good job they're not like Pokemon.

City Hall Wenlock

We finally saw Tower Bridge with the iconic rings...

Tower Bridge

and then headed to Denmark where there were beautiful people, good design, and Lego

Lego Olympic Park

Plus I think we ended up on Danish TV. Tak. (I went into Sara Lund mode though I couldn't remember any useful Danish)

Denmark house

Lou and I were then going to head to Austria house for some thigh-slapping wurst but MrG phoned as he managed to get two tickets for Greco-Roman wrestling. Luckily we were next to a DLR station so we headed to the Excel Centre where we saw a sport that baffled both of us.

Olympic London

Nevertheless we enjoyed ourselves and the atmosphere. Plus I bumped into two twitter friends on the way out. Marvellous. London, I salute you.

Comments

mostcurious said…
I am, as a US citizen, horrified by the awful crochet dolls. HORRIFIED.

Also personally I'm insanely jealous of the LEGO in the Denmark house. FYI I am trying to vicariously enjoy the Olympics more through you. :)
Anonymous said…
Pfeh. that was me up there.

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.

Donegal Aran Socks

When Bioniclaura came to stay for KnitNation she very kindly gave me some Donegal Aran Tweed Yarn . The yarn is made in Ireland in a mill in Kilcar, County Donegal and I bought a little more of it when I visited the Knitting & Stitching show in Dublin with p/hop in October. As I'm supposed to be making 52 pairs of socks this year of course I made socks. The yarn is lovely to work with and though it feels a little rough at first after a gentle wash in some soak it softens up beautifully. I made these socks toe up, using Judy's Magic cast on for the toes. I cast on 18 stitches and increased every other round using YOs knitted through the back loop to 36 stitches on 3.75mm needles. They have a standard heel flap and gusset and were very quick to knit, taking one evening per sock. I gave this pair to my Mother in Law for Christmas and she is very happy with them. Though she loves all my knitting and often contemplates nicking things I have made for other people like some yarny