Skip to main content

A good mental workout with a hint of emotion.

Back in November my work friend Tim was wearing a beautiful Aran cardigan, albeit a beautiful Aran cardigan which was full of holes.

We got chatting about the cardigan as I was admiring the cables. Tim said his Gran had knitted it for his Grandad in the 70's and he enjoyed the continuity of wearing the cardigan, especially as his grandparents are no longer alive. Tim is also into sailing and wears the cardigan a lot on his boat, 'tis a very warm garment.

I couldn't let this beautiful piece of knitwear stay in its holey state, so I offered to fix it for him.

I took the cardigan home, which felt a little bit like taking the class pet home for the weekend, there was definitely an air of responsibility.

On closer inspection, as well as a few large holes, there were several small areas of wear and tear all over the cardigan. I didn't count them all but I think there were about 40 in total.

I didn't fix this all in one go - that way lies madness. I worked on this on and off over the Christmas break and January, finding I had to be in the right frame of mind to tackle it. Some holes were easy to fix, just anchoring a loose thread on cable or ribbing and reinforcing it.

Other areas took some engineering, including undoing seams, ripping back, and re-knitting. I really enjoyed this process, both understanding the stitches, and repairing the work of a skilled knitter who is no longer around. It was a good mental workout with a hint of emotion.

Some areas of cabling had worn out so I did a little faking it. In these sections I pulled back the loose cable stitches, repaired the underlying fabric with (reverse) stocking stitch, then made a fake cable over the top with a crochet hook or needle and yarn.

On other sections I used straight forward darning, which I found the hardest, rebuilding row after row.

A few sections had been previously mended using cotton and to use a technical term, bodging. I considered undoing the fixes and repairing with wool, but I figured they are also a part of the history of the garment and they seemed pretty sturdy so I left them.

I finished the fixing in January and returned the cardigan to Tim last week. He was a little apprehensive and excited. I hadn't told him I'd repaired the cardigan in pattern.

Rather than describe Tim's reaction, here's a photo.



and here's a bonus picture of the back.


I've told Tim if he spots and areas of wear in the future, bring it in asap! While I enjoyed fixing this, it is so much easier to repair a small area if you catch it early. But you knew that already, didn't you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deja deja decisions

After all my decision making in my post yesterday, and my eagerness to cast on, my brain interfered again and I spent most of the evening playing with colour combos in Excel.

It looked like this:



I stared at it for ages, showed it to my other half, stared at it again, showed it to my other half*
*repeat until bedtime.

I decided to get stuck in having whittled it down to two possible layouts. I'm still not one hundred percent sure but I'm hoping I'll have a better idea by the time I'm at the next colour change.

Food: easy five spice soda bread

In that idle time between Christmas and New Year some have dubbed Twixmas, I found myself recuperating from spending a week with my very intense mother-in-law by watching mid-morning TV.


I flicked over to Nadiya's British Food Adventure where this recipe for red split lentils and five-spice soda bread caught my eye.

I'm a big fan of curry; it's my favourite cuisine and the combo of lentil soup and soda bread ticked the right boxes. My dad is a keen breadmaker and he talked about making soda bread over Christmas which had tickled my interest. While I like the idea of making bread, I'm unlikely to have bread flour or yeast in and I find the kneading and proving off putting, but soda bread is doable.

The lentil soup was eaten before I thought of photographing it. It's similar to dhals we routinely make for dinner - so cheap and easy to do - though the garlic and butter were a treat. The bread has lasted for a few days as there are only two of us in the house. I manag…

Deja decisions

Almost two years to the day that I cast on for what has so far been my biggest FO, I'm casting on another.

When I found out my first nephew was on the way I um'd and ah'd over what to knit for him; i.e. I spent hours browsing Ravelry looking at ALL THE BABY THINGS.

I wanted to make him a blanket, something he'd hopefully use and keep for several years, maybe into adulthood. While I like knitting modular patterns, crocheting motifs and generally being a clever clogs, my brain kept on returning to a simple yet effective pattern.

#knitting pattern is Teddy blanket by Millamia A photo posted by clarestorry (@gingerknits) on Apr 20, 2014 at 9:44am PDT

I've worked with MillaMia in the past and their oh so cheerful Teddy Blanket had always attracted a lot of attention at yarn shows. It's a very easy knit though it is an exercise in stamina.

After doing more browsing (thanks again Ravelry) I decided on it but using Rico Essential Cotton, not MillaMia yarn, as although …