Skip to main content

Am I back?

Like many people, I've been contemplating picking up my blog. Heck, I've been doing this for over a year (53 drafts saved???) however the time now feels right to hit the publish button.

Twitter is crowded and I seem to just retweet excellent content rather than making my own. When I do make my own it feels like I'm repeating what others have already said. Plus it's turned into an outlet for people understandably frustrated and angry by the current political climate, myself included. I miss the old knitting conversations which naturally drifted into a range of random topics.

Facebook. I have issues with Facebook. Their algorithms skew what I'm seeing, hiding friends important news, repeating the mundane, endless ads, the list goes on. I liked it in the early days when it was a simple list of what my friends were up to. It was enjoyable and useful. Now it's a bizarre construct whose main goal is to keep us on Facebook. The only reason I still use it is my friends are on there, and in that respect Facebook has us over a barrel. Aaargh, Zuckerberrrrg!!!



Instagram is nice but I sometimes don't feel like writing much. It also has the issue of people showing their best on there. I like twitter as people feel open about sharing their difficulties whereas the world of flat lays and lovely things can sometimes make me feel down when I'm having a bad day. I still enjoy Instagram but I need to be mindful when using it.

So here I am, back on the blog. I've been wondering what to post and how. The blogging world was taken over by monetisable content, all well and good for those looking to earn some extra cash or promoting their business, but it did make me feel like it was a competition, rather than something to do for fun. I don't have an issue with this, more power to people working for themselves, especially women. It's my hang up to get over, the irony of which is...

... I got a job running a charity blog, the natural result of which was I didn't want anything to do with blogs in my spare time. Plus that job properly did me in. Reading and editing harrowing and depressing real life content day after day had a very negative effect on my mental health; it's taken me two years to get my head back above the parapet. I'm still not fully better but thanks to the NHS, good online mental resources and a couple of excellent friends I'm so much better than I was this time last year.

So, how to blog? I think I'm going to try and get back to how I used to blog. A random mix of what I've been up to: knitting, gardening, food, exhibitions, travel. Some of this might be retrospective as I prefer to mull things over before writing about them. If I write straight away I tend to ramble which makes for dull reading.

I'm going to try and keep it real too. While it's good to have nice photos who really has a sprig of lavender lying next to a skein of wool? My kitchen is messy, I knit in what MrG calls the knit pit ie half the sofa is covered in projects and my garden is untidy - for the benefit of wildlife of course.

Current Knit Pit realness

I think my main issue is how to keep this going as I've written these "I'm back" posts before. It's part confidence, part having the willingness to upload photos and edit. One of my tips I used to give my bloggers is write for yourself, that way you keep your own voice and don't try and mimic others. We all have our own unique style and take on the world and that's what makes life (and the internet) interesting.

How about you? How are you going to be online in 2018?

Oh, and Happy New Year, I hope your 2018 is full of whatever you'd like it to be.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti...

Just beet it - part II

Here it is. The beetroot dye experiment results. I had read that beetroot turns a disappointing orange colour when the dye is set. The most saturated end turned a beautiful burnished orange however the far end of the skein, which had been a delicate shade of pale pink before cooking was a mucky yellow. The cream/mucky yellow colour dominated the skein and wasn't as graduated as I'd hoped for. I decided to redye the cream section, leaving a small section of the Naples Yellow (mucky yellow) for contrast (I actually like the colour in small amounts and looked up a nicer name in my Artists Colour Manual). I added a few drops of pink food colouring to the beetroot vinegar just to see what happened and over dyed the mid portion of orange with more beetroot vinegar with a few drops of red food colouring. This is how it looked while drying... ...ta dah ! Here it is reskeined . Well half the skein anyway. I was in a rush as I wanted to enter it in a dip dyeing competition on Ravelry w...

Knit Nation

I've been busy over the last week taking p/hop to the Knit Nation festival in London. It was good fun but I'm still a little dazed from 3 full on days of talking to knitters. It was fab and I've met some brilliant people so I will share it in photo form. Here's our stand, manned by yellowpurplezebra and cybil. Bad pub photos from Friday night with Stitch London Stitchettes, WoollyWormhead, @julietillyflop (who makes fab knitting tea towels ) Babylonglegs, @knitterbird and Bionic Laura (who stayed with me and brought me some gorgeous Aran yarn from Ireland) There was a grout baby and also some tipsy yelling at Ysolda and Sazknits and Jess and Casey the marvellous people who made Ravelry when we spotted them on the way to the tube. On Saturday I made sure I had time to shop and bought some sock yarn from Renaisance Dyeing... ... creepily fabulous stitch markers from The Bothered Owl ... As well as a fab needle roll with Mexican Day of the Dead pattern I also bought some...