Skip to main content

Harvest festival

Back from holiday and the fridge was bare. No fresh food in the flat. A trip to the farmers market was in order. Despite the pouring rain we bundled up our cotton carrier bags and puddle jumped round the corner to Islington Farmers Market.

Bounty
For £14.50 we got

1 bag of spuds
1 bag of carrots
1 bunch of radishes
1 aubergine
2 butternut squash
3 huge corn on the cob
1 enormous gnarly celeriac which looks like something from an old Star Trek episode
1 bag of pears
2 bags of apples - Egremont russet and Royal Gala
1 bag of red onions
1 bunch of beetroot
3 pak choi
3 little gem lettuces
2 bunches of spinach
1 fennel

and....

... COB NUTS!!!


Having missed these last year I've forgtton what to do with them. Watch this space...

A bargain. Also treated ourselves to 2 cheesy twists and some Hoxton Rye bread. All of which have disappeared.

I noticed the plant man had some cheery cyclamen and some pale blue pansies which would look rather fetching on my back windowsill, more colourful than the bolted radish plants which are currently trailing like the red week from War of the Worlds. After a swift cuppa I headed back to the market, bought said plants. Plant man was suffering from a nasty cold and trying to garner sympathy as he was getting none from the women working on his stall. Poor thing, a severe case of man flu.

On the knitting front I need to decide what I'm going to make Alex's mum for her birthday. She cheekily demanded a sweater last time I saw her. That's not going to happen before Christmas so she's going to have to settle for either, some fingerless gloves so she can do her art without frostbite or some slippers. The slippers, mainly because I want to make this pattern which I bought befpre we went to holiday. They only downside with these is I'm not sure how much yarn they'll use. I see some Ravelry research coming up...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have a winner...

Check out my pea seedling, how intact and un-nibbled it is. My mysterious object, as correctly guessed by Madmurdock and Montyknits, is a gastropod guard. It seems to be working. I'd heard that slugs and snails don't like slithering over hair. I tried using hair clippings a few years ago as a barrier. It worked for a few days, til I found chewed, leafless stems and on further inspection a guilty slug covered in ginger hair. Hopefully the fleecy barrier will stay in place and mean I get a good late crop of peas. Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who took part.

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.