Skip to main content

Knit Nation

I've been busy over the last week taking p/hop to the Knit Nation festival in London. It was good fun but I'm still a little dazed from 3 full on days of talking to knitters. It was fab and I've met some brilliant people so I will share it in photo form.

Here's our stand, manned by yellowpurplezebra and cybil.

Claire and Cybil (Heather)

Bad pub photos from Friday night with Stitch London Stitchettes, WoollyWormhead,@julietillyflop (who makes fab knitting tea towels) Babylonglegs, @knitterbird and Bionic Laura (who stayed with me and brought me some gorgeous Aran yarn from Ireland)

Bad pub photos

Bad pub photos

There was a grout baby and also some tipsy yelling at Ysolda and Sazknits and Jess and Casey the marvellous people who made Ravelry when we spotted them on the way to the tube.

On Saturday I made sure I had time to shop and bought some sock yarn from Renaisance Dyeing...

Renaisance Dyeing

... creepily fabulous stitch markers from The Bothered Owl...

Creepy marvelousness

As well as a fab needle roll with Mexican Day of the Dead pattern

I also bought some Old Maiden Aunt sock yarn (I love her stuff) and some Artisan Yarns sock yarn in subtle deep blues.

Woolly Wormhead modelled her p/hop pattern. There's a more official photo for the p/hop website but this one really makes me laugh. She's such a star.

It's a keeper!!!

In the evening I went to the Ravelry party laid on by the smashing Jess and Casey who I managed to get a photo with. Lovely, lovely people. I made sure I said thank you to them for the wonder that is Rav. they must hear it all the time but I still think it's important to let people know you like what they do.

Look, it's Ravelry!!!

There was much hamming it up in front of giant Bob....
here's Jen from Fyberpates, Jon from Easy Knits and Jen Tech Editor for The Knitter

Jen, Jon, Jen

and ahem, me

BOB

I also met Woolly as well as loads of real people I've only "met" in cyberspace.

Here's Wooly

There were also great Ravelry goodie bags which had an Ysolda pattern inside and of course a Ravelry badge. Check out the great Bob in London drawing.

Knit Nation Stash Enhancement
You can also see the yarn I bought in the photo above.

I had a go in Ysolda's photo booth. I think these need captions.

CHEESE!!!

Phew, I think that's all. Now on to UK Knit Camp which is only a week away!!!

Comments

Northern Monkey said…
Ooh how I wish I had been able to go...next time I will. Looks like you had a fantastic time!
Bionic Laura said…
What a fun post! From what I can see a great time was had by all at Knit Nation. I had a brilliant time anyway. Thanks so much for putting me up, it was great.
grannyg said…
grannyg is so envious!!! So envious that she is now talking in the third person...
Honestly was a brilliant event and love your photos etc from it.
oooooh. wish i went to the ravelry party :( love the day of the dead fabric - and could the colours of the yarn bought be more you?!!
Anonymous said…
Sounds like KnitNation was great. wish I could have been there.

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.

Donegal Aran Socks

When Bioniclaura came to stay for KnitNation she very kindly gave me some Donegal Aran Tweed Yarn . The yarn is made in Ireland in a mill in Kilcar, County Donegal and I bought a little more of it when I visited the Knitting & Stitching show in Dublin with p/hop in October. As I'm supposed to be making 52 pairs of socks this year of course I made socks. The yarn is lovely to work with and though it feels a little rough at first after a gentle wash in some soak it softens up beautifully. I made these socks toe up, using Judy's Magic cast on for the toes. I cast on 18 stitches and increased every other round using YOs knitted through the back loop to 36 stitches on 3.75mm needles. They have a standard heel flap and gusset and were very quick to knit, taking one evening per sock. I gave this pair to my Mother in Law for Christmas and she is very happy with them. Though she loves all my knitting and often contemplates nicking things I have made for other people like some yarny