Skip to main content

Michelin star socks

I was up in Yorkshire last weekend celebrating my mum's birthday. We treated ourselves to a wonderful lunch at The Bay Horse in Hurworth. I was expecting pub grub, you know, tasty food which looks home cooked. What arrived was something from Mastchef The Professionals. I don't use the word amazing much, I think it's overused,often on the mediocre, but this was amazing.

This was Alex's starter, eel with horseradish foam (YES, FOAM!!!) and a concentrate of beetroot as well as jelly cubes of something tasty (we can't remember what they were.

I had a butternut risotto which was delicious but not as photogenic as Alex's starter.

Mum's birthday lunch at The Bay Horse, Hurworth

The main courses were equally exquisite though we were too busy eating to take any photos. I was surprised how filling I found the food though we had enough room left to try the desert taster menu.

Mum's birthday lunch at The Bay Horse, Hurworth

I'm not much of a cake fan (yes, I know that's odd, especially for a knitter, I much prefer savoury foods to sweet) but especially enjoyed the rice pudding in the tiny jar and apple crumble.

The meal was very reasonable, especially considering the quality of the food. I only found out afterwards but the Bay Horse has a Michelin Bib Gourmand. I'm not entirely sure what that means but it's something to do with serving great food at moderate prices.

I made mum a pair of socks for her birthday. The pattern is Eunice by Cookie A from her book Sock Innovation. They were great fun to knit, complex enough to keep my interest though not so complicated that I couldn't watch TV at the same time.

Eunice Socks

The yarn is Yarn Yard Clan. I only had one skein, most of my socks use around 55-60 grams of sock yarn and Clan comes in 65g skeins. I knew cables used more yarn so thought I would be OK but ran out just before the toes. Luckily my friend LaPurplePenguin had a small amount spare. Clan is lovely to knit with and has superb stitch definition. Despite being made from 8 strands it wasn't splitty unless I had to rip back. The colour is hard to capture, in real life it's a deep bluey purple, similar in depth to the photo above but more purple. I reversed the cables in the pattern as I am a symmetry freak but otherwise stuck to the pattern.

Eunice Socks

This is mum's first pair of hand knit socks and she was pleased with how warm they are. I think I've converted another person to the joy of hand knit socks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti

We have a winner...

Check out my pea seedling, how intact and un-nibbled it is. My mysterious object, as correctly guessed by Madmurdock and Montyknits, is a gastropod guard. It seems to be working. I'd heard that slugs and snails don't like slithering over hair. I tried using hair clippings a few years ago as a barrier. It worked for a few days, til I found chewed, leafless stems and on further inspection a guilty slug covered in ginger hair. Hopefully the fleecy barrier will stay in place and mean I get a good late crop of peas. Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who took part.

Ceilings

Over Easter we went to Istanbul. It's one of those cities that's been lurking in the corners of my mind, from tales of Roman Constantinople, to bordering Europe and Asia with its dreaming mosque minarets. So I booked a bargain of a city break two days before we left, chucked some clothes in a bag, picked up a guidebook and off we went. There are more blog posts and photos on the way, as we had an excellent time there, but as you can see I was quite taken with ceilings and spent most of our four days there looking up.