Skip to main content

Frakking socks - Episode VI - The Finale

Is this where we all go camping?

Sorry, BSG reference for those of you who haven't seen it.

Here are the finished socks:

Frakking socks


  • Knit on 2.25mm needles

  • Cast on 68 stitches, by accident but it worked out OK

  • Increased to 70, removing some of the purl stitches from the ribbing to accommodate my skinny feet. 

  • Only knit one pattern repeat on the cuff as I have short legs, ended on row 2 before starting heel. 

  • Adapted the toe pattern to create a V of ribbing when starting the toe.

Things I learnt:

  • I don't need to dither so much. I understand sock construction and can make stuff up as I go.

  • I can do tricky cables without a cable needle if I pause for a few minutes and think about where the stitches need to go. 

  • Changing the type of needle I use cuts down on wrist and finger strain. I used a mix of Addi circulars and bamboo DPNs. I find metal a bit slippery for cables so drop my stitches more than I do with wood or bamboo but find metal faster for stocking stitch. 

  • When your parents suggest the stitch pattern would make a lovely jumper, especially one knit in sock yarn, know that they are joking.
Viper Pilots is a great, well written pattern, though it is fiddly and maybe not best suited to a three and a half day sock challenge. Unless you are frakking stupid. :D

My next socks will be plain old stocking stitch socks.


travelknitter said…
Congratulation! I can't believe you knit those in three and a half days, and still had time for sightseeing. Am very impressed.
Ginger Knits said…
It wasn't quite 3.5 days, more like 4, which makes all the difference. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Deja deja decisions

After all my decision making in my post yesterday, and my eagerness to cast on, my brain interfered again and I spent most of the evening playing with colour combos in Excel.

It looked like this:

I stared at it for ages, showed it to my other half, stared at it again, showed it to my other half*
*repeat until bedtime.

I decided to get stuck in having whittled it down to two possible layouts. I'm still not one hundred percent sure but I'm hoping I'll have a better idea by the time I'm at the next colour change.


I've been a fairly faithful knitter over the last couple of months, working almost exclusively on the Box-Set Blanket. Nephew Two is due at the start of July so I'm hoping to have it finished by then. I'm on the final round of colours, although this is deceptive in terms of knitting as the last few stripes include some pretty wide sections. One upside of the miserable summer here is I don't feel guilty about staying in watching box sets and knitting.

We visited my brother-in-law and Nephew One a few weeks ago and it was lovely to see Blanket One being used every day. The kid takes it to nursery for his afternoon nap and it goes in his pushchair when not at nursery. Makes all the knitting worthwhile! Hooray!

I'm enjoying the garter stitch though I'm starting to hanker after something a little more complex and have plenty of WIPs sitting idle which I'm looking forward to picking up once the blanket is done.

I did have a fling with a pair of baby booties for …

Deja decisions

Almost two years to the day that I cast on for what has so far been my biggest FO, I'm casting on another.

When I found out my first nephew was on the way I um'd and ah'd over what to knit for him; i.e. I spent hours browsing Ravelry looking at ALL THE BABY THINGS.

I wanted to make him a blanket, something he'd hopefully use and keep for several years, maybe into adulthood. While I like knitting modular patterns, crocheting motifs and generally being a clever clogs, my brain kept on returning to a simple yet effective pattern.

#knitting pattern is Teddy blanket by Millamia A photo posted by clarestorry (@gingerknits) on Apr 20, 2014 at 9:44am PDT

I've worked with MillaMia in the past and their oh so cheerful Teddy Blanket had always attracted a lot of attention at yarn shows. It's a very easy knit though it is an exercise in stamina.

After doing more browsing (thanks again Ravelry) I decided on it but using Rico Essential Cotton, not MillaMia yarn, as although …