Tuesday, 8 March 2016

The birds


There is knitting action going on at the moment, I just haven't got round to blogging about it yet. I've also been doing more #CBDrawADay challenge. Here's birds from Sunday's lesson.

I wrote about how I was approaching Sunday's #CBDrawADay subject with anticipation over on my blog. I love #birds. I #bird watch. I have binoculars next to my garden facing windows at home so I look like a freaky Rear Window type when I'm just looking at who visits my garden. I go on holiday to places where I can do some serious birdwatching. I watch wildlife stuff all the time. Love it! This is something I'd like to be able to draw well, ie field guide illustration well. As Pam the tutor says at the end of today's video " Just go with it and have fun" which is something I found tricky, unlike yesterday's challenge. I started off drawing cartoon-like birds but started getting irritated when I couldn't get the lines right, especially the back between the head and the tail. I gave up on this approach and looked at pictures of birds and used this as my reference point. I did make myself draw without doing a preliminary pencil sketch which is something I'm trying to improve - hand-eye coordination and accuracy. I've also realised I need to slow down sometimes. I get impatient and when I rush my lines are wonky. I'll probably come back to this subject and try different species, maybe with #colour.

A photo posted by clarestorry (@gingerknits) on

No comments: