Skip to main content

Spring

A few things have made me smile today.

1) The Very Hungry Caterpillar on Google to mark the first day of spring. A seminal work in picture book literature.



2) Learning what Norouz is via facebook. One of my friend's surname is very similar to Norouz so when she wrote Happy Norouz, followed by her sister commenting Happy 1388, my curiosity was piqued.

A quick search on the Very Hungry Caterpillar Google directed me to Wikipedia. I'm not going to explain it here, go and have a look for yourself. No? Well here's a picture to whet your interest.



3) My postman now knows I'm a knitter. I ordered some Lion Brand yarns from Banyan Tree Yarns a few days ago. When my parcel arrived yesterday it was already open with 2 balls missing. I got in touch with Banyan Tree and they were so helpful, sending out replacement yarns straight away.

They arrived today. I had a chat with the postie about the opened parcel, asking him if he knew anything, he's a really nice bloke. We finished our chat with him saying, you're doing lots of knitting aren't you. He has no idea...



Happy Spring Equinox, Happy Nowruz, Happy Knitting.

Comments

looove the eric carle google logo! How'd i miss that one? i just bought the dvd of all his animations...that reminds me, must sit down and watch it!

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti...

Just beet it - part II

Here it is. The beetroot dye experiment results. I had read that beetroot turns a disappointing orange colour when the dye is set. The most saturated end turned a beautiful burnished orange however the far end of the skein, which had been a delicate shade of pale pink before cooking was a mucky yellow. The cream/mucky yellow colour dominated the skein and wasn't as graduated as I'd hoped for. I decided to redye the cream section, leaving a small section of the Naples Yellow (mucky yellow) for contrast (I actually like the colour in small amounts and looked up a nicer name in my Artists Colour Manual). I added a few drops of pink food colouring to the beetroot vinegar just to see what happened and over dyed the mid portion of orange with more beetroot vinegar with a few drops of red food colouring. This is how it looked while drying... ...ta dah ! Here it is reskeined . Well half the skein anyway. I was in a rush as I wanted to enter it in a dip dyeing competition on Ravelry w...

Knit Nation

I've been busy over the last week taking p/hop to the Knit Nation festival in London. It was good fun but I'm still a little dazed from 3 full on days of talking to knitters. It was fab and I've met some brilliant people so I will share it in photo form. Here's our stand, manned by yellowpurplezebra and cybil. Bad pub photos from Friday night with Stitch London Stitchettes, WoollyWormhead, @julietillyflop (who makes fab knitting tea towels ) Babylonglegs, @knitterbird and Bionic Laura (who stayed with me and brought me some gorgeous Aran yarn from Ireland) There was a grout baby and also some tipsy yelling at Ysolda and Sazknits and Jess and Casey the marvellous people who made Ravelry when we spotted them on the way to the tube. On Saturday I made sure I had time to shop and bought some sock yarn from Renaisance Dyeing... ... creepily fabulous stitch markers from The Bothered Owl ... As well as a fab needle roll with Mexican Day of the Dead pattern I also bought some...