Skip to main content

On boredom and what to do...



I had my knee operated on two and half weeks ago. The first two weeks flew by, partly thanks to opiates and partly due to Mr Gingerknits working at home so I had someone to yell at when I wanted a cup of tea.

I've set up a separate knee blog (which is already woefully neglected) so I won't bang on about the aftermath of knee surgery here. What I will bang on about it how very very bored I am. Now I'm off my crutches in the flat Mr G has gone back to work but I still can't get very far outside. The influx of get well wishes has reduced to a trickle amd although I am still getting weekend visitors the week days have started to drag by. Knitting helps, as does BBC radio 4 and of course Ravelry, however I have discovered my threshold. My brain needs more activity.

I've been thinking on what I'd like to be good at in life, as well as knitting. I've dabbled in holiday Spanish but would like improve so I don't make mistakes such as telling a pharmacist he had diarrhoea instead of me. Hmm, thinking about it do I want to lose such beautiful holiday memories of insulting natives. Actually given my inability to learn grammar, even in English, I think I'll still make mistakes but with more vocab.

After a quick search I found the Open University's Open Learning website which has hundreds of free short courses ranging from Modern Languages to Babylonian Mathematics to Textiles in Ghana. I'm a tad overwhelmed at the mo and want to read everything. Some list making and planning is in order but hopefully it will help banish my boredom demons.

I'm also going to engage in some stash busting calculations as inspired by my friend Mostcurious from the AAC group on Ravelry. Hopefully this will inspire me to finish my WIPs (Works in Progress).

I'll think of a few more boredom banishing goals over the weekend.

Watch this space...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! *waves* I'm glad someone else enjoys my number nerding...

Popular posts from this blog

Lashing and lashings...

As well as talk of Clementine Cake on twitter there has been talk of brewing Ginger Beer. Ginger beer is my drink of choice and I'm always in search of a good one. I find many commercial ones too sweet. Once on holiday in Brasil I had a ginger beer made with freshly squeezed ginger which is the gold standard at the moment and a tough act to live up to. @eskimimi (who has a lovely blog ) linked to this River Cottage recipe last week . I had to hunt around for brewers yeast as the brewer's yeast you can buy in chemists and health food shops is deactivated so won't work for brewing, despite the name. (trade descriptions act anyone?). I ended up buying my yeast online after consulting my brewing guru Bioniclaura . As well as knitting Laura brews her own beer, which I got sample when I stayed with her and her lovely dog and husband in Dublin when I went over at the end of October. More on that later. I couldn't wait to get started but had to wait til we returned from Hasti...

Just beet it - part II

Here it is. The beetroot dye experiment results. I had read that beetroot turns a disappointing orange colour when the dye is set. The most saturated end turned a beautiful burnished orange however the far end of the skein, which had been a delicate shade of pale pink before cooking was a mucky yellow. The cream/mucky yellow colour dominated the skein and wasn't as graduated as I'd hoped for. I decided to redye the cream section, leaving a small section of the Naples Yellow (mucky yellow) for contrast (I actually like the colour in small amounts and looked up a nicer name in my Artists Colour Manual). I added a few drops of pink food colouring to the beetroot vinegar just to see what happened and over dyed the mid portion of orange with more beetroot vinegar with a few drops of red food colouring. This is how it looked while drying... ...ta dah ! Here it is reskeined . Well half the skein anyway. I was in a rush as I wanted to enter it in a dip dyeing competition on Ravelry w...

Knit Nation

I've been busy over the last week taking p/hop to the Knit Nation festival in London. It was good fun but I'm still a little dazed from 3 full on days of talking to knitters. It was fab and I've met some brilliant people so I will share it in photo form. Here's our stand, manned by yellowpurplezebra and cybil. Bad pub photos from Friday night with Stitch London Stitchettes, WoollyWormhead, @julietillyflop (who makes fab knitting tea towels ) Babylonglegs, @knitterbird and Bionic Laura (who stayed with me and brought me some gorgeous Aran yarn from Ireland) There was a grout baby and also some tipsy yelling at Ysolda and Sazknits and Jess and Casey the marvellous people who made Ravelry when we spotted them on the way to the tube. On Saturday I made sure I had time to shop and bought some sock yarn from Renaisance Dyeing... ... creepily fabulous stitch markers from The Bothered Owl ... As well as a fab needle roll with Mexican Day of the Dead pattern I also bought some...